Friday, February 5, 2016

iceland: reykjavik

Dave and I took an amazing long weekend trip to Iceland in the beginning of January. It was so much fun and even more incredible then I imagined it would be.

This waHallgrimskirkja, don't ask me how to pronounce it

It was by far the most ornate building that I saw while we were there. The architecture was very modern and simple and I loved it. I will devote a future post to the architecture and design. 






This was the view while standing in front of the church. The stone work on the ground was awesome.



Our hotel was right on the square that had this waterfall with a teeny tiny bridge. It was really cool and I want one in my yard.

The Lebowski Bar, yes like the movie. It was a theme bar decorated after the movie, so of course we had to check it out. Not when this photo was taken though, when this photo was taken it was about 10am. The sun didn't rise until around 10-11am while we were there.

Some mural art.

And more mural art. I had to get a pic with these cute birds.

I am not sure what this building is, but the modern glass building in the background was the Harpa, a music hall. We didn't get to go see any events while there, but we will plan for it on the next trip. And there will definitely be a next trip!

This book store/coffee shop by our hotel was so cozy and the perfect shop. I just wish everything was less expensive. We found a great deal on the flight/hotel through Travelzoo, but the price of things there is a bit high. Of course the trip was worth every penny, I just wish I could have bought all of the cool things that I found in this shop.

They have a flea market and this was the view out the front. You can see the beautiful mountains in the background. The flea market didn't have the best selection, compared to what I am used to. But it is a great place to find an Icelandic sweater, which I did, for a great price. I am actually wearing it as I write this.

Here is the harbor. There was a great casual fish restaurant by here Sægreifinn (don't ask me how to say that either.) I basically didn't know how to say any of the Icelandic words, but lucky for me everyone speaks English.  




Some more street art. That looks like a Banksy to me, but I'm not sure. 



This lake was completely frozen over and we walked on it. Well not all the way over it, because I got scared, but people were doing that. I got about 50 feet out and wanted to go back to the edge. Yes, I am a wuss.



This was one of the very cool (large by Iceland standards) homes that was across from the lake above.

You can't really tell in this pic, but do you see the small cut-in-half trees above each window on the left and right? A lot of the businesses had these and I absolutely loved it. We learned that Icelanders leave the Christmas lights up until about March, because it is so dark all the time and it cheers them up. I dig it and wish Dave would let me do this at home.

There is a cool bar called the Boston bar that we checked out. It was really hip and I loved these curtains. They also had awesome wall paper, but the pic I took of that is very blurry. 

It snowed on our last day there. What a picture perfect end to a wonderful trip.






No comments: