There are two key points to keep in mind when decorating your home.
#1: Know where to spend the money
#2: Don't underestimate yard sales/flea markets/estate sales/craigslist
We actually didn't have a strict budget in mind when we started. Our goal was to spend as little as possible. When we tallied up the costs, it came out to just under $500!
Here's what we bought:
- Bedding set from Wayfair for $120
- Fireplace from Craigslist for $120
- Curtains from Overstock for $68
- Ornate Mirror from an Estate Sale for $8
- Vertical Mirror from a Yard Sale for $10
- Art for over the fireplace at a Yard Sale for $5
- Nesting side table set from Ross for $38
- Lamp shades from Ross for $20
- Wall art that looks like a sea urchin from Target for $15 (it's now on sale for $11.99!)
- Gold Spray paint for the dresser pulls for $3
- Sherwin Williams wall paint for $90
Grand Total: $497
The painting over the fireplace I picked up at a yard sale on the way to her house, for $5. You always have to be on the look out! Craigslist is a great source for finding yard sales in your area.
We initially were going to buy new gold pulls for the dresser, which were silver. But a $3 can of spray paint was much more affordable!
And the end result I think is stunning.
My sister had some great pieces to start with.
- A bed with a dramatic headboard
- An Ethan Allen Dresser
- An Ethan Allen side table that we moved from another room
- A chair that we moved from another room
- And this super cute dog, Louie